The Ibero-American Institute (IAI) awards ten to twelve grants each year to support a one- to three-month research stay in Berlin. The grants should give scholars the opportunity to further innovative projects related to the research focus of the IAI, participate in an interdisciplinary dialogue with the researchers of the institute and with other guest researchers making use of the IAI’s vast library holdings and special collections. Guest researchers should present and discuss the results of their research in a colloquium and establish contact with colleagues in Germany. The selection process is based on a call which the Ibero-American Institute realizes once a year.
The processes of formation and reconfiguration of fields of knowledge and interaction connect local and national parameters as well as transregional and/or transnational transaction. The movements of individuals or more or less large groups generally include the displacement of objects as well as the transformation of forms and practice of the production of (scientific, technological, cultural) knowledge. They also change the behavior of the individuals and the social context to which they fit in. The objective of this competition is to contribute to research on the interrelations between migration processes and mobility, on the one hand, and the transfer of knowledge, on the other hand. The competition strengthens those projects within different disciplines which analyze these interrelations on a theoretical or empirical level.
We especially welcome proposals which refer explicitly to one of the following aspects:
- Theoretical concepts appropriate to analyze the relation between processes of mobility and transregional transfer of knowledge in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Case studies of situations, individuals, countries especially relevant for the analyses of the relation between the movements of individuals and forms of knowledge transfer;
- Participation of foreign intellectuals, artists, researchers, technicians, and political activists in transnational and transregional knowledge transfers;
- Political conditions of transfer realized by individuals’ mobility;
- Political strategies with respect to the relation between mobility and knowledge transfer;
- The role of inter-american migrants in knowledge transfer within the continent;
- Exile and transfer;
- Relations between the mobility of individuals and the displacement of objects of knowledge.
The amount of the grant is 900 € per month for applicants holding a university degree, 1,200 € for those with a PhD or equivalent qualification, and 500 € for those with other revenues, as well as up to 500 € for travel expenses.
Applicants are requested to submit all the documents via email to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application must include the documents mentioned here:
- A completed application form;
- Copies of university transcripts and diplomas conferring academic degrees;
- A detailed description of the project according to the following framework: 1) Description of the subject as well as the main goal of the project; 2) Justification of the proposal with reference to the topic “; 3) Description of the state of the art, and the methodology of the research project; 4) Current status of the project; 5) Specific objectives of the stay at the IAI; 6) Bibliography. The description may not exceed 12 pages (12 point font size, 1.5 spacing).
- Two letters of recommendation from university teachers (applies only to graduate students and Ph.D. candidates).
- Applications that do not meet these requirements unfortunately cannot be considered.
Applications and documents can be submitted in German, English, Portuguese and Spanish. The deadline for the presentation of grant proposals is 30 of September 2016.
Please visit the Ibero-American Institute website for further information.