Website The Zolberg Institute on Migration and Mobility
The Zolberg Institute is pleased to open applications to join the Fall 2019 cohort of Zolberg – International Rescue Committee Fellows. The deadline to apply is September 9, 2019. To be eligible, you must be a matriculated student at The New School for the full duration of the fellowship.
Please submit a cover letter addressed to the hiring committee, CV and three work samples (writing and/or design portfolio) as one single PDF to Meryl Makielski email@example.com with “Zolberg-IRC Fellow” and the position for which you are applying clearly in the subject line.
Cohort: Fall 2019
The Airbel Center’s mission is to develop life-changing, highly scalable solutions that meet the needs of people affected by conflict and crisis. With over 70 million people displaced, the world is facing an unprecedented crisis. To address the evolving and growing nature of this crisis requires not just more aid, but also new thinking.
That’s why we established the Airbel Center. Working alongside the communities IRC serves, Airbel designs and tests new products, services and systems in partnership with governments, the private sector and other aid organizations.
This fellow will work closely with Airbel’s communications and knowledge management team in order to capture stories and create visuals which will better communicate innovative new projects and key research findings with a change to impact the way business is done in the humanitarian sector.
They will work closely with IRC’s research and innovations teams to develop materials communicating complex information and data succinctly to a variety of internal and external audiences. The fellow will have the opportunity to engage on a variety of topically and geographically diverse projects, and to work closely with project leads to develop informational content from start to finish. The fellow will have the opportunity to play a leading role in developing web-based platforms and products, such as key reports and storytelling pieces, portfolio tracking software, and infographics.
- Design and create digital content, including infographics, slide decks, publications, and social media graphics to effectively communicate complex information and large swathes of data.
- Create content for Airbel blog and social media channels.
- Support periodic updates to Airbel website through use of portfolio tracking software and working with project leads.
- Support internal communications and knowledge sharing campaigns from conception to execution – including event organization.
Potential travel: Fellow may have the opportunity to travel to the field to collect multimedia materials for storytelling
Skill set sought:
- Proficiency in design tools such as InDesign, Illustrator & Photoshop.
- Understanding of visual design principles and how to align with branding guidance.
- Strong communication and storytelling skills.
- Interest in and knowledge of humanitarian aid and/or refugee issues.
- Previous experience creating graphics to communicate complex information through work or studies is advantageous.
- Strong coordination and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and with a multi-disciplinary team.