Introductions

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 165 total)
  • Author

Welcome to the forum for the Human Rights and Migration course offered by the Zolberg Institute. Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Martuolivera90
    Participant

Good afternoon!
    My name is Martina Olivera and I am a human rights lawyer, graduated from the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Currently I am working as a Peace Observer and Advocate in the Swedish Movement for Reconciliation (Swefor) in a project based in Chiapas, México.

We work directly with human rights defenders who suffer threats and attacks because of their labor in favor of human rights. The work consist in accompanying the human rights defenders through physical presence in their activities and travels; interaction and advocacy with authorities and public institutions, including facilitation of contact between these and the human rights defenders; and strengthening of capacities in security analysis and security measures.

We also work with migrants coming through the south border, with international observation in order to make sure that all human rights are correctly fulfilled, and no human rights violations are committed.

Before this job I have worked in some places in the Human Rights field -including the OHCHR, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights and some positions in Argentina-, and have also participated in some research projects, one of them on migrants’ rights.

It is a pleasure to be part of this course and thanks for this incredible and useful platform!

Kind regards and please be safe!
    Martina

Alison Jane
    Participant

Hello Everyone!

My name is Alison Jane Martingano, I am a post-doctoral fellow at The National Institutes for Health in DC. I recently graduated from the New School for Social Research. The Zolberg foundation kindly financed my dissertation research on how to increase empathy towards refugees using virtual reality, and also how to reduce the distress of human rights advocates using similar methods.

Given the current political climate I am interested to hear more about recent developments in immigration law and human rights across the globe.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Best Wishes,
    Alison Jane

hudginsa
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am Audrey Hudgins and I teach at Seattle University. I volunteer with Kino Border Initiative when I’m not in the classroom and I am presently sponsoring an asylum seeker from Venezuela in my home while she pursues a change in status from Withholding of Removal to Asylum.

I look forward to learning with you about the intersections of human rights and migration, a topic of increasing importance in this time of redoubled US efforts to marginalize or deny migrants’ human rights.

My best,

Audrey

Nazeer
    Participant

Hallo Everyone,

I’m Mohammed Nazeeruddin Khan from Hyderabad, India. I graduated from the University of Leiden with an Advanced LLM in Public International Law, specializing in Peace Justice and Development. I currently work pro bono as Research Associate with the Public International Law and Policy Group-Netherlands Office(PILPG). My association with PILPG involves working on the Virtual Human Rights Lawyer (VHRL), an initiative that uses technology to increase access to international human rights mechanisms.
    I started my career working as a Registration Officer with CRFC an implementing partner of the UN Refugee Agency in South India. I was moved by the plight of the Rohingya community in their struggle to retain their national and ethnic identity. Using this experience as a starting point, I wrote my Master Thesis titled “I am not a Bengali: An Analysis of the Right to Identity in the Backdrop of the Rohingya Crisis”, which received a 9 on 10 as final grade.
    I’m excited to be part of this course and hope to know other fellows more closely over the coming weeks.

Regards
    Nazeer

VirginiaRaymond
    Participant

Hello colleagues. My name is Virginia Raymond, and I am a deportation-defense lawyer who represents asylum seekers, primarily in the administrative immigration courts in Central and South Texas. Many of my clients are either “detained” (immcarcerated) in, or have recently been released from, private prisons. Currently I am in solo practice though I also work as a mentor for Vecina.org, which trains pro bono lawyers new to the field.

My day-to-day work is frustrating, infuriating, overwhelming, and heartbreaking. I am grateful for this opportunity to take a step back and look at a larger view, even if that bigger picture is not a happy one.

At times, including right now, I am fortunate enough to teach. This semester – Fall 2020 — I am teaching one graduate seminar in literature of Mexico, the Caribbean, and Latinx U.S., and one undergraduate course in Mexican American literature at the University of Texas at San Antonio. My own formal academic education took place at Bryn Mawr College (AB), and the University of Texas at Austin (JD, MA, PhD).

I look forward to learning from each of you as well as our faculty!

Virginia

Rohini Mitra
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My name is Rohini Mitra, and I am from India. I completed my MA in Development Studies from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai and currently work as a Research Co-ordinator with an India based migration research organisation called India Migration Now. In my daily work, I engage extensively with research on all forms of migration and am particularly interested in refugee studies – especially in dissecting and better understanding the binary of forced-voluntary in migration studies.

mfchaves
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

My name is Fernanda Chaves, I am from Argentina. I am a journalist and BA in Humanities and Social Sciences from Palermo University in Buenos Aires. I work as a communications coordinator in my own project called “Human Rights Post”, an organization with the aim of defending and educating on human rights. I’ve worked as a volunteer in a refugee camp in 2017 and in 2018 I was called as a speaker in the Youth For Human Rights International Summit 2018 in UN headquarters in NY to speak about my job with migrants.
    I think that human rights and migrations are my issues in life, so that is why I choose this course.

I look forward to learning from each other.

alejandraalejos
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My name is Alejandra Alejos, i am 23 years old, and am currently in my last semesters of the Law career in Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. Actually, i am assistant in the Legal Clinic for Refugees and Migrants, mandatory course of our faculty, where we dialogue with activists, nongovernmental organizations, public entities, making different researches due to make projects with legal incidence.

I am very interested in resarch about the access to information about labor rights and market access of the migrants and refugees, particularly, the case of Venezuelan people (who nowadays represents the 84.4% of foreign people in Perú).

I’m looking forward to dialogue and learn about another practices in the globe,

Regards,
    Alejandra

Maria Jose Barajas
    Participant

Hi everyone!

My name is Maria Jose Barajas and I’m a Spanish lawyer specialized in Human Rights, currently living in Lima (Peru) and teaching at the Legal Clinic for Migrants and Refugees at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
    Looking forward to meeting you all this Wednesday and excited to start the course!

See you soon 🙂

BlancaMarS
    Participant

Hola from Spain!

My name is Blanca, just graduated from a Double BA in International Relations and Translation and Interpreting and will soon be starting an MSc in Nationalism, Ethnic Conflict, and Development!

I’m especially interested in ethnic minorities in the region of Asia-Pacific and hope to be able to apply what I learn in this course to their situation in my future research.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Saúl Ulloa
    Participant

Hello everyone!

My name is Saúl Ulloa and I’m a recent graduate from Georgetown University’s MA in Arab Studies program. Much of my work has focused on the implications of the expansion of AI and biometric systems on the rights of migrants and refugees in or crossing into the US and EU. My employment plans took a left turn due to the COVID crisis, but I’m actively looking for opportunities at the intersection of human rights, migration policy, and emerging technologies.

I’m looking forward to meeting with you this Wednesday and learning from your experiences!

charlottevolet
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m Charlotte Volet. I’m Swiss-Canadian and I recently completed my master’s degree in Transitional Justice, Human Rights and Rule of Law at the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights. In 2018, I was an international accompanier for ACOGUATE in Guatemala. Similar work to Martina’s, I worked directly with human rights defenders near the border of Mexico, hence migration was omnipresent issue in the communities.

Migration has been a recurrent theme in my studies and one of my interests, but I’d like to have a better grasp on the issue and connected it with Transitional Justice. I’m pleased to be able to participate in this class!

I’m looking forward to meeting you all!

Best,

Charlotte

vivianlau
    Participant

Hello from Brazil!

My name is Vivian, I’m currently in my last semester of International Relations, finishing my undergraduate thesis and also studying History (one year and half to go).

I’m interested in study ethnic minorities, and planning to start my Master degree in this area next year.

ahgonza4@asu.edu
    Participant

Hello all,

My name is Alexandro Gonzalez-Calvillo, a Mexican-American currently living in (and commuting between) Las Vegas, Nevada and Tempe, Arizona in the United States. I work as an international student advisor at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona, and am finishing a dual Master’s Degree program in Public Administration and International Education Management.

As a son of immigrants and someone who works with and supports a rather large international community in the United States, I was interested in taking this course so I could have a better understanding of immigrant rights and ways to better advocate for this marginalized community.

Looking forward to learning from and alongside all of you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top