Mr. Arnhold joined Arnhold and S. Bleichroeder, Inc., in 1947 and served as chairman from 1960 to 2015; he is now chairman emeritus. From 1955 to 1959, he acted as president and subsequently chairman of General Ceramics and Steatite Corporation and its affiliates. He is president of the Arnhold Foundation and the Mulago Foundation and serves as emeritus board member of Conservation International.
Mr Arnhold is a member of the Board of Trustees at The New School, a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the American Council on Germany and serves on the advisory board of the World Policy Institute. In 2002, he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters from The New School. He is a recipient of the Grand Cross — Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany and was awarded an honorary senatorship by the Technische University Dresden.